Low testosterone is a condition in which the body’s production of the hormone testosterone dramatically slows. In men, testosterone typically decreases with age. When it decreases more than it should, it is called low testosterone, or Low T, and can cause a wide range of symptoms.
Symptoms of Low Testosterone
- Lowered sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Low semen volume
- Thinning hair or balding
- Feeling tired, lacking energy
- Loss of muscle mass
- Increase of body fat, including enlarged breasts (“gynecomastia”)
- Decrease in bone mass, which can lead to a higher risk of broken bones
- Depression, irritability, inability to focus
Tips for Boosting Testosterone
- Get plenty of sleep. Studies have shown that lack of sleep can reduce testosterone levels.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Middle-aged men who are overweight and considered pre-diabetic are more likely to have lower testosterone levels.
- Eat less sugar. Avoid sweets! Sugar consumption can cause levels of testosterone to decrease by as much as 25%.
- Increase your zinc intake. This mineral plays an important role in regulating testosterone. Try a zinc supplement or eat foods rich in zinc, including oysters, poultry, beans, nuts and whole grains.
Treatment Options for Low Testosterone
The Naturopathic physicians at Desert Wellness Center are well-versed in using safe, effective, natural treatments for low testosterone. We will work with you to create a customized treatment plan that might include:
- Nutritional Supplementation
- Nutritional Counseling and Testing
- Hormone Rebalancing, Including Bio Identical Hormone Replacement
Get expert care for Low Testosterone at Desert Wellness Center — one of Tempe’s leading integrative health centers.
Desert Wellness Center in Tempe, AZ, brings you a team of experienced and caring naturopathic physicians offering coordinated care across multiple specialties.
Whether you have a chronic health condition or unexplained symptoms, we believe you are more than just the numbers on your lab results. We will dig deep to uncover the root cause and help you achieve a happier and healthier life.
Our physicians maintain a culture of quality and choice. We put you in control of your healthcare while educating you on your options. Our patient care coordinators are available to answer all of your questions and guide you in getting started today.
We invite you to book a free 15-minute consultation to learn how we can help.
Naturopathic & Integrative Medicine Services
Naturopathic medicine is a holistic approach that uses natural therapies whenever possible and medications whenever needed— to heal the body from the inside out.