Menopause is a term that describes the changes in a woman’s body at the end of her reproductive period. This process typically begins after the age of 40; if it occurs in a woman younger than 40, it is called premature menopause.
There are three stages to the process. Perimenopause begins an average of four years before menopause, as the ovaries begin to make less estrogen. This stage ends when a woman has gone 12 months without a period, and menopause begins. Postmenopause are the years after menopause, when symptoms have typically eased.
Common Symptoms of Menopause
- Hot flashes
- Sweating, especially at night
- Irregular or missed periods
- Mood changes, including depression and irritability
- Headaches, joint and muscle aches and pains
- Changes in sex drive
- Vaginal Dryness
Tips for Reducing Symptoms
- A balanced diet with plenty of healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables and protein are very important to your overall health and can reduce symptoms. Avoid or limit spicy foods, caffeine and alcohol, as they can contribute to hot flashes and insomnia.
- Regular exercise helps to reduce fat and keeps estrogen and progesterone levels balanced. Keep moving with activities that you enjoy, like walking, bicycling, swimming or even dancing. There is evidence that yoga can help relieve irritability and depression.
- Be mindful of stress! Stress can contribute to hormonal imbalance and can affect your mood, mental function, digestion, thyroid and blood sugar. Deep breathing can be an effective and easy way to reduce stress.
The Naturopathic physicians at Desert Wellness Center are well-versed in using safe, effective, natural treatments for menopause. We utilize a thorough health assessment as well as the latest specialized testing. We will work with you to create a customized treatment plan that might include:
- Nutritional Supplementation
- Nutritional Counseling and Testing
- Hormone Rebalancing
- Bio Identical Hormone Replacement
Get expert care for Menopause at Desert Wellness Center — one of Tempe’s leading integrative health centers.
Desert Wellness Center in Tempe, AZ, brings you a team of experienced and caring naturopathic physicians offering coordinated care across multiple specialties.
Whether you have a chronic health condition or unexplained symptoms, we believe you are more than just the numbers on your lab results. We will dig deep to uncover the root cause and help you achieve a happier and healthier life.
Our physicians maintain a culture of quality and choice. We put you in control of your healthcare while educating you on your options. Our patient care coordinators are available to answer all of your questions and guide you in getting started today.
We invite you to book a free 15-minute consultation to learn how we can help.
Naturopathic & Integrative Medicine Services
Naturopathic medicine is a holistic approach that uses natural therapies whenever possible and medications whenever needed— to heal the body from the inside out.