PMS (premenstrual symptoms) affects up to 85% of women, and is more likely to occur in the late 20s to mid-40s. It is thought to be caused by fluctuating hormones and chemical changes in the brain that happen during a woman’s menstrual cycle. PMS is unfortunately too widely accepted as “normal” but can be addressed using Naturopathic treatment and improve or even resolve.
- Mood changes, including anxiety or nervousness, irritability, depression, forgetfulness, confusion, insomnia, hostility
- Food cravings and weight gain
- Breast tenderness
- Back or joint pain
Symptoms of PMS can be similar to other conditions, including perimenopause, clinical depression, thyroid or homonal imbalance and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). A physician can help determine the cause of your symptoms.
Women who experience especially severe symptoms, including symptoms that cause a physical or mental loss of function, may suffer from what is known as premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). This more severe form of PMS is thought to be more common in women who have been diagnosed with depression at some point in their lives. Symptoms of PMDD include extreme mood swings, feelings of anger, depression, irritability, tension, sleep and appetite changes, fatigue, and pain or bloating. PMDD affects an estimated 5% to 10% of women of reproductive age.
Tips for Reducing PMS
- A diet high in cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.) can help balance hormones
- Reducing caffeine intake can alleviate symptoms of anxiety or irritability
- Reducing sugar intake can help stabilize blood sugar levels and improve mood swings
- Regular exercise has been shown to reduce intense PMS symptoms
- Decreasing alcohol consumption enables the liver to better process hormones that cause PMS
The Naturopathic physicians at Desert Wellness Center are well-versed in using safe, effective, natural treatments for PMS. We will work with you to create a customized treatment plan that might include:
- Appropriate hormone testing
- Nutritional supplementation and counseling
- Herbal Medicine
- Bio-Identical hormone supplementation
Get expert care for PMS at Desert Wellness Center — one of Tempe’s leading integrative health centers.
Desert Wellness Center in Tempe, AZ, brings you a team of experienced and caring naturopathic physicians offering coordinated care across multiple specialties.
Whether you have a chronic health condition or unexplained symptoms, we believe you are more than just the numbers on your lab results. We will dig deep to uncover the root cause and help you achieve a happier and healthier life.
Our physicians maintain a culture of quality and choice. We put you in control of your healthcare while educating you on your options. Our patient care coordinators are available to answer all of your questions and guide you in getting started today.
We invite you to book a free 15-minute consultation to learn how we can help.
Naturopathic & Integrative Medicine Services
Naturopathic medicine is a holistic approach that uses natural therapies whenever possible and medications whenever needed— to heal the body from the inside out.