Menopause is a term that describes the changes in a woman’s body at the end of her reproductive period. This process typically begins after the age of 40; if it occurs in a woman younger than 40, it is called premature menopause.
There are three stages to the process. Perimenopause begins an average of four years before menopause, as the ovaries begin to make less estrogen. This stage ends when a woman has gone 12 months without a period, and menopause begins. Postmenopause are the years after menopause, when symptoms have typically eased.
Common Symptoms of Menopause
- Hot flashes
- Sweating, especially at night
- Irregular or missed periods
- Mood changes, including depression and irritability
- Headaches, joint and muscle aches and pains
- Changes in sex drive
- Vaginal Dryness
Tips for Reducing Symptoms
- A balanced diet with plenty of healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables and protein are very important to your overall health and can reduce symptoms. Avoid or limit spicy foods, caffeine and alcohol, as they can contribute to hot flashes and insomnia.
- Regular exercise helps to reduce fat and keeps estrogen and progesterone levels balanced. Keep moving with activities that you enjoy, like walking, bicycling, swimming or even dancing. There is evidence that yoga can help relieve irritability and depression.
- Be mindful of stress! Stress can contribute to hormonal imbalance and can affect your mood, mental function, digestion, thyroid and blood sugar. Deep breathing can be an effective and easy way to reduce stress.
The Naturopathic physicians at Desert Wellness Center are well-versed in using safe, effective, natural treatments for menopause. We utilize a thorough health assessment as well as the latest specialized testing. We will work with you to create a customized treatment plan that might include:
- Nutritional Supplementation
- Nutritional Counseling and Testing
- Hormone Rebalancing
- Bio Identical Hormone Replacement