Anxiety disorders are much more than butterflies or a nervous tummy before a big test or presentation. While almost everyone feels nervous from time to time, people struggling with anxiety disorders are actually suffering from a serious mental illness that can have a profound impact on their daily lives and relationships. We have as many types of natural remedies for anxiety as there are types of anxiety disorders.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Panic disorder causes people to feel suddenly terrified. Typically, there’s no warning before a panic attack begins, and many people mistake it for a heart attack. Symptoms include a racing or irregular heart beat, sweating, chest pain and sometimes a choking sensation.
Phobias are intense fears of a specific object or event, like spiders or flying. While it’s normal to feel fear from time to time, phobias cause terror so strong that people will often go way out of their way to avoid the object or situation. For instance, someone with claustrophobia (fear of enclosed spaces) may refuse to take the elevator and always opt for the stairs.
Social anxiety causes people to be afraid of interacting with others in a social situation. There is often a fear of being judged, ridiculed, or embarrassed by other people. Meetings, parties and other social gatherings are extremely stressful, and people with this condition often avoid these situations.
Generalized anxiety disorder is described as excessive worrying and tension, particularly when there’s no specific cause or reason. People with this disorder may seem to be constantly on alert for danger, or always imagining the worst will happen.
While symptoms will vary from one anxiety disorder to the next, most people experience one or more:
- Feelings of panic and terror
- Sweating and/or clammy hands and feet
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Irregular heart beat or a fast pulse
- Dry mouth
- Muscle tension
It can be possible to lessen the severity of symptoms. Try one or more of the following:
- Caffeine contributes to nervousness and insomnia, so avoid coffee, tea, energy drinks, sodas and chocolate.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if any prescription or over-the-counter medications you are taking might increase your symptoms.
- Try deep breathing. Close your eyes and slowly breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Concentrate solely on the breath.
- Exercise. Studies have shown that moderate exercise creates endorphins in the body, making us feel happier and more relaxed.
The Naturopathic physicians at Desert Wellness Center are well-versed in safe and effective natural treatments for anxiety disorders. We will work with you to create a customized treatment plan that may include:
- Botanical Medicine
- Hormone Testing and Balancing
- Nutritional Testing and Counseling
- EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique): an incredibly effective way to reduce symptoms of anxiety in just a few minutes. Watch Dr. Ezrre describe the technique:
For privacy reasons YouTube needs your permission to be loaded.
Contact our office for information on upcoming EFT workshops with Dr. Ezrre.