Make Healthy Fun by Eating a RAINBOW Every Day!
Choose one from each category every day to get variety, nutrients and FUN.
Strawberries watermelon, cherries, raspberries, Red pepper, tomato, beets, apples
Oranges, cantaloupe, peaches, peppers, pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots, butternut squash
Lemons, bananas, pineapple, squash, yellow pepper, corn
GREEN Grapes, limes, green apples, kiwi, honeydew, zucchini, green pepper, avocado, celery, spinach, broccoli, green beans, snap peas, cucumber, asparagus, peas, Brussel sprouts
BLUE/PURPLE Blueberries, blackberries, plums, red grapes, eggplant, beets
TIPS FOR PARENTS
- Kids aged 2-6 need at least 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables each day. Older kids need 2-4 servings of fruit and 3-4 servings of vegetables a day.
- This means at least 1-1.5 cups of fruit a day and 1-2 cups of vegetables. But more is better!!
- Kids healthy eating habits start with their parents having healthy eating habits.
- Always sit down as a family during meal times to encourage healthy ideas around food.
- Involve kids in the process of choosing and preparing their fruits and vegetables.
- If a child doesn’t like a particular vegetable, try preparing it another way.
- Kids palates change all the time, so don’t give up on certain fruits and vegetables if they don’t like it one week.
- Get creative with food!! Use cookie cutters to make shapes, combine fruits and veggies to make fun animals. Pinterest has lots of ideas!